Marketers who manage an e-commerce business know that the percentage of purchases that are not completed can be rather high: the first contact conversions account for only 2%, while the remaining 98% visit the website without making a purchase or requesting further information. A focused email re-targeting solution aimed at recovering the abandoned virtual shopping cart leads to an increase in conversions that is up to 5 times higher.

The advantages of a re-marketing strategy include:

– an increase in conversions;

– the optimisation of the acquisition cost;

– the improvement of brand memory and engagement;

– an increase in the performance of all online marketing channels.

 

So, here are the 5 email re-targeting actions to carry out to reel back lost customers and to increase the revenue of your e-commerce business:

1. Contact the user immediately: if the user has encountered a technical problem that prevented him/her from completing the purchase, sending the user an email within an hour at most makes it possible to offer your help.

2. Try to understand the reasons for abandoning the virtual shopping cart: it is important to devise a correct virtual shopping cart recovery strategy.

There could be several reasons that have caused the user not to complete the purchase:

– a negative browsing experience due to technical problems on the site or complex checkout procedures;

– a virtual shopping cart used as a wish list;

– additional costs and delivery expenses that substantially increase the initial price of the product;

– lack of discounts and incentives.

3. Send follow-up messages a few days apart. If the customer does not convert after the first email, send a reminder of the products with a more persuasive copy, using the time or offer availability limit as a leveraging work tool.

4. Offer incentives: free delivery costs result in a more powerful decisional factor compared to a discount.

5. Reassure the customer by highlighting any additional costs, the right to withdraw and safe payment methods. Include all product details and, if possible, reviews made by other users. Provide as much information as possible that makes the purchase reliable and safe: the contact numbers for customer service, details of the after-sales service and the possibility to track the order, the availability of a dedicated telephone line or an online chat to provide help during the purchase process.

Moreover, here are some essential elements that must be included in a re-targeting email:

– the direct link to the website login or to the virtual shopping cart itself;

– images of the products left in the virtual shopping cart, situated above the fold to be visible as soon as the email is opened;

– cross-selling and up-selling actions with offers of associated or alternative products, such as those which have been the most viewed or purchased by other users.

A company that has increased its business by implementing an e-commerce website, must analyse its abandonment rate and devise an email re-targeting strategy to optimise costs and increase revenue, by paying attention to the engagement of its users at all levels of the funnel: from the welcome emails to those relating to re-engagement, in a single strategy focused on the transformation of potential customers into active, paying customers.

Share This:

This post is also available in: Italian